Sunday, 23 January 2011

4. Re-enact this advert - 22nd January 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuSlUQ-CvDo

When I first wrote the Things To Do List I put this on it because I just thought it looked fun - anyone can run nude into the sea on a sunny summers day - but mid winter in the UK? That was going to be the challenge, and finding someone nutty enough to do it with me!

Actually I found someone nutty enough pretty quickly (no offense Pat), the first time I mentioned it was on my List (and co-incidentally the first time I met her) Pat piped up that she would love to do it too. So a plan was hatched ... we both live in the South East of England but not on the coast (and not near each other) but we found the perfect spot - well it looked perfect in the photos on the Internet - on a secluded nudist beach between Margate and Broadstairs. We decided to opt for a nudist beach because being more mature ladies we didn't want to offend the general public, we also decided against the more famous nudist beaches in Brighton because those beaches are all shingle and you can't run barefoot across shingle!

So the bones of the plan were laid and now we had to fix on a date - this was alot more difficult than we imagined as we just never seemed to available at the same time and it had to be done in the winter. Finally we found a weekend that suited us both.


My youngest sister volunteered to drive us down and act as the official photographer - we both wanted evidence that we had really done it - and in a moment of common sense we knew that someone else ought to be with us in case of injury. We set off early on Saturday morning, giggling and chattering like excited school girls - the fog, rain and wind on the motorway did nothing to dampen our spirits. When we finally reached the beach we sat staring at the grey sea, white waves splashing against the shore - our hearts sank slightly, the tide was much further in then we had thought it would be - no time for a leisurely stroll and quick going over how we were actually going to preform the re-enactment. As Pat and I walked nervously down my sister wrapped her sheepskin coat more tightly around herself. Pats normally immaculate hair will give you an indication of how windy it was!

Once on the beach we wasted no time on false modesty - we stripped off and ran straight in ... the full force of the icy cold water hit us taking our breath away; I reached the water first but Pats shouts and laughter encouraged me to run in further and further - it was absolutely amazing. We splashed about for about a minute and then dashed out again ... in those conditions a minute was a long long time! We ran laughing up the beach and grabbed our quilts and blankets - a man walking past with his Jack Russell laughed at us and with fore finger tapping his forehead and then making large cirlces he indicated what he thought! He asked jokingly what it was like (not sure if he meant in the sea or being mad).

My sister showed us the photographs she had taken and decided that because we had entered separately we were too far apart in the photographs (she thought) and said we ought to do it again! Pat and I stared at each other - laughed (hysteria setting in?) and after a quick "Well we've come all this way" threw down our coverings and holding hands ran back in! The water the second time was as cold as the first time and this time I was alot more conscious that hypothermia sets in very quickly ... I only stayed in a for a few moments before I raced back up the beach. Pat stayed in for longer and I was anxious, but when she came running out she was absolutely fine! Our bodies tingled with the cold and the adrenalin rush - we quickly dried and dressed (I mean really quickly) buzzing. An elderly man walking his two dogs, (dressed from head to toe in Hi-vis wet weather gear) walked past "Ladies if you had stayed in the dogs would have come and joined you" he joked "Come to think of it, pre-arthritis days I would have too. Its exhilarating isn't it? I used to do that all the time when I lived in Wales..."

It was exhilarating ... I wouldn't want to do it every day but Pat is talking about making it an annual event and I'm up for that ...

17 comments:

  1. Well nothing ever happens like this when we walk our dog along the seafront, it sounds as though you enlivened your two dog walkers' days. You make it sound very appealing, you both look as happy as sand boys in the photos but I won't be joining you next year - glad you both had a fun time. What's next off the list? Making Baked Alaska? That's something I could get on board with :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, that is a fantastic and absolutely accurate account of events yesterday. Thanks for your company and letting me know about your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the designated driver and photographer,I can agree with Jane and Pat, it was an amazing few moments. They were like school girls, running in and laughing with the exhilaration of it all which was quite contagious. I have to say I have no regrets about not joining in with the 'dash'. Well done girlies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, had I been there I would have been sorely tempted to join you. Whew! Lucky escape for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladies Thank you all for dropping in and commenting -

    Jackie I think something more sedate is now called for!

    Pat- An amazing experience, thanks for joining me!

    Beau - Thanks for being the official phographer, pat has already sussed a pretty promising site for next year, you just never know next year you may be tempted.

    Ellen - You would have been tempted! It was amazing. So cold!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahah, oh God. That's amazing. I had to link it to a few people.

    That's very brave, I'm not sure I would have the courage to get naked AND go in freezing water, all in one day.

    Must feel good to have crossed another off the list!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andy it 3.5c but the wind (wow)

    Pats already found a possible for next year - further up the coast.

    It was great and I'm glad I had the courage to do it - and we didn't even take a single sip of the whisky, before or after!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you!! You can cross that one off :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue - I think its something a little more sedate for the next entry on this blog - my sisters are already planning it ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane, you are just so fantastic (and so is your friend Pat)! My first visit to this "other" blog of yours and I loved it. I cannot thank you enough for the pick-me-up this post gave me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lydia - so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You British are so much hardier than we wimpy Americans! I would never have the nerve to do it, but it's fun knowing someone who did! I just ventured over to this blog and found it to be highly entertaining...ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You British are of much hardier stock than we wimpy Americans. I would have never had to the never to do it, but love reading about it. You must have had so much fun! Laughter is good for the soul

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aine and Glenda, thanks for your comments, glad it made you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha!!!:) Wonderful!:) I love this Jane, thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete